1. What is your company name, role and what type of buildings do you manage?
Makai West, Inc., which is a property management and maintenance company I started in June 2016. My main role is Property Manager of four office buildings, three medical buildings, and one retail center.
2. What are your top three lessons learned in your career in the commercial real estate?
- Lesson One: Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions. You will never know everything there is to know about how buildings were constructed or how they operate…rely on those who specialize in their field and learn as much as you can about each situation.
- Lesson Two: Don’t let work become your life…work/life balance is more important than you realize.
- Lesson Three: Smiling and being nice goes a very long way!
3. How can a new Principal member get the most benefit out of his/her membership?
Join a Committee and attend the events. There are so many wonderful people in this industry, you just have to be present to meet them.
4. What do you do to relax and recharge after a long day at work?
I enjoy riding my beach cruiser and spending time on our boat.