Event Recap – 2022 Associate Member Download
BOMA San Diego recently hosted an Associate Members Download virtual event; which outlined some helpful advice, tips, and etiquette notes for our Associate Members. A quick recap is below, and in case you missed it, you can check out the slideshow here!
Are you a new associate member to BOMA San Diego? Or maybe you’ve only been a part of the organization for the last year or so? If that applies to you, KEEP READING!
These tips will help you get the most of your membership:
- Associates are better together! At BOMA, the service providers truly work better together. We encourage you to make friends, do joint events, and more importantly, have fun together! Build relationships with those around you.
- The Don’ts. There are only 2. Don’t be disrespectful to any other member, and don’t trash talk your fellow members or competitors. This should be self-explanatory, but we find that it still needs to be said.
- Luncheons / Tradeshow Etiquette. There are 6 membership programs every year. These programs are reserved and designated for the Annual Supporting Partners to sponsor. They will have a table, giveaways, and raffles. There is one annual joint expo between BOMA, IFMA, IREM, and SDBEA. Associates must purchase an exhibitor table to attend. The following also applies to the expo:
- Business Cards – don’t put your business cards in their raffle bowls or on the tables. This privilege is reserved for the Annual Supporting Partners.
- Giveaways – don’t take other vendors’ swag – unless they ask you to! Don’t put your swag on the table. This privilege is also reserved for the Annual Supporting Partners.
- Lurking – don’t be a lurker that stands in front of sponsor tables and diverts foot traffic.
- Be Timely – the committees worked hard to put your event on. Please arrive on time to set up.
- Respect the Rules – for Expos, the venues have a set of rules. Please be respectful of these rules, whatever they are. You are a reflection of BOMA San Diego. Your choices will determine if the venue allows us back.
- Event Etiquette. Don’t over-serve yourself. This is first and foremost a professional organization. Dress appropriately; the dress code is typically business professional. There are a few exceptions with certain major events; for instance, the BOMA Gala is cocktail attire, and the golf tournaments are golf/athletic attire.
- Committee Meeting Etiquette. If you aren’t on a committee, you need to be!
- Don’t be a shameless self-promoter, unless you are a paid speaker.
- Be involved! Don’t just join and nod your head, volunteer and take on some tasks.
- Attend. Showing up is half the battle. Go to at least 75% of the meetings.
- Give Kudos. Encourage each other and give kudos when appropriate – let’s lift each other up!
- Step Up. Lead a sub-committee, or better yet, step up to be a Vice Chair or Chair!
- Have Fun! Make friends. Create memories. Take pictures and share them on social media!