Event Recap - January Luncheon
To kick off the year, the Programs and Seminars committee hosted the January Membership Meeting virtually, and continued the annual tradition of announcing the Public Official of the Year Award.
The meeting was sponsored by Annual Supporting Partners Duthie Power Services (Platinum), CCS Facility Services (Gold), LandCare (Gold), and AMS Paving (Silver).
The meeting began with networking time, which featured a riveting discussion on favorite classic candies, and the must-watch movies and shows of the moment.
BOMA SD President Thor Emblem (GSH Group) commenced the meeting; welcoming members, reiterating the organization’s mission to be a strategic business partner, and encouraging committee involvement. He also announced this year’s theme - Together Towards Tomorrow.
BOMA SD Legislative Advocate, Craig Benedetto (California Strategies) introduced the Public Official of the Year Award recipients; President & CEO Kim Becker, and Chair Member Gil Cabrera of the San Diego County Airport Authority for their work in the expansion of San Diego Airport’s Terminal 1.
Kim Becker and Gil Cabrera graciously thanked BOMA and its members for the Award and expressed their excitement about the massive terminal renovation which broke ground in November 2021. They shared the following key points about the project:
- At just under $3 Billion Dollars, this is their largest project ever
- The terminal will be expanded from 19 gates to 30 gates
- The updated 1M sf of terminal space will also feature 90K sf of concession stands (including local restaurants), a children’s play area, and a five-story garage with 1,500 spaces
- The project is expected to achieve LEED Gold Certification
- Project completion is slated for 2027
- The project is expected to create 20K jobs
To conclude the meeting, Gil Cabrera had the honor of swearing in the incoming Board of Directors for 2022, and Thor thanked the outgoing 2021 Board Members on behalf of all of us here at BOMA San Diego.